@ the library: Programs
- Wednesday, Oct. 6 from 7-8 p.m. Make Your Own Drum and Play It for students in grades 5-7 (registration required) Explore the world of percussion instruments from different traditions around the world! Make your own instrument and learn simple rhythms to play. All materials provided.
- Saturday, Oct. 9 from 10-noon. Really Big Rigs for families with children of all ages (no registration required) Come have an up close and personal experience with a “really big rig”! Visit the vehicles our community uses to fix our roads, maintain our streets, keep us safe and manage our emergencies. And don't forget to check out our display "Keep on Trucking!" for books and DVDs to take home with you.
Out & About -- Around the Community:
Take a Family Trip into the Past without Leaving Somerset County!
Weekend Journey Through the Past: Oct. 9 & 10
No time to go to Williamsburg? You can visit the past right here in Somerset County!
Somerset County's Weekend Journey through the Past not only offers you and your family free admission to 26 historic sites throughout the county. Participating sites will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 9, and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 10.
This autumn weekend will feature interpreted tours led by costumed docents; special collections and exhibitions; period military drills and re-enactments; traditional blacksmithing; 19th-century firefighting wagons and apparatus; a gravestone-carver re-enactor discussing the folk art of gravestone carving and the significance of traditional motifs; opening of a new exhibition, "Swing with Hollywood and the Stars," at the U.S. Golf Association Museum; music, arts and crafts; period-dance performances; antiques sales; guidance for genealogical research; daily chores of 18th-century life; colonial games for children; military history; demonstrations; local-history videos; live theatre; participatory activities; interesting period architecture; and access to some sites not generally open to the public.
Printed guides identifying participating sites, locations and interesting facts about each will be available at all sites during the weekend to guide your journey. For advance details, along with suggested tours, travel directions and contest information, visit the official event website at www.SCHistoryWeekend.com. Be sure to enter the wayfarer's quiz to win a $25 pre-paid gasoline gift card. Anyone who visits four or more participating historic sites on Oct. 9 and 10 is eligible for the prize drawing.
The Newark Museum has lots for kids to do on October Saturdays. From art to trucks to bugs to a heritage celebration, there's something for your family and kids to experience. Secured parking is available on the premises.
- Drop-In Art Activity: Knock on Wood Saturdays, 1–4 PMVisit the Contemporary Art Galleries to view Louise Nevelson's grand sculpture made from discarded pieces of wood. Then create your own wood assemblage sculpture.
- Skies Alive & Family Activities Saturday, October 9, 11 am–4:30 pmJoin the Museum's Explorers to celebrate the journey of migratory birds with exciting hands-on activities.
- Special Tours of the Fire Museum in Honor of Fire Prevention Week Saturday, October 9, 2 & 3 PM Learn about the changing shapes and capabilities of fire trucks throughout Newark's history. Also see the exciting exhibit Fire Escapes: Danger and Survival.
- Special Event: Latino Heritage Festival—Dia de los Muertos Saturday, October 30, 12:30–4:30 PM See Latino Heritage Festival page for details.
Thanks to Ruth Ross at http://www.njartsmaven.com/ for this posting.